Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Journal #2

I have chosen to use my university admissions essay as my persona text. I decided to use this because at the time I wrote it, my intensions were to display my identity (or at least my identity as I thought it was at that particular time in my life). However, as I have entered this new part of my life- college- I am re-evaluating myself. So, I believe I will be able to analyze this text with an objective eye. Though I am essentially the same person, I feel that there are views I had about myself that may not apply anymore and things like that. So, I can evaluate this text without interference of the obvious answers to 'why?' because those reason probably don't even apply anymore, anyway. I think I will be able to analyze my text on a non-personal basis. (Although the writing is still about me personally)
One similarity between my text and the Tapahonso text, "What I Am" , is the evaluation of the self. Tapahonso describes who she believes she is as a person and how she came to be that way. Likewise my persona text describes [one aspect] of myself and how I came to think of myself that way. 
I would say in one way my text differs from Tapahonso's is in the way she writes about herself through other people as well, as if the group of people is one unit and she identifies within that unit. I myself am a very independent person and have mostly always known and lived by that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment